Thursday, November 02, 2006

Birth Story!

I usually take my Lovenox shot first thing in the morning, but I was hoping to go into labor Halloween morning so I waited. If the Lovenox is still in the system, you can’t get an epidural. So I waited until noon and nothing was going on so I took the shot. By dinner time I announced it was too late to have a Halloween baby. Brian joked that I still had 6 hours left and I should get a move on it.
Brian and Ivy went trick or treating and I stayed home with my mom and answered the door. Every time someone asked when I was due, I would say, “I’m trying to get it out now.” Around 6:30, I was laying on the couch chatting with my mom and I felt a little pop. I told her I felt a weird pop and then there was a gush, but I did a kegel and held it in until I got to the bathroom and WOOSH! I came out and told mom my water broke. I sent a few emails and posted on boards. Then I added a few more things to my bag. Brian and Ivy got back and I told him my water broke. He started rushing around while I was slowly grabbing things. He came running in and asked what the heck I was doing. He already had the truck running and was frustrated that I wasn’t on the move.
We’re only a few miles from the hospital, so there really was nothing going on still when I got there. He dropped me off at the front entrance and I walked to the birth center. They got me settled in and checked me and I was still only 4cm. Then the contractions started. Ouch! It was awful. It took 4 needle sticks to get the IV in!
It made a huge difference when Brian rubbed my lower back really hard through the contractions. I asked for an epidural. The anesthesiologist came and when he found out about my meds, he said I couldn’t have one, but he would research it. At that point, I got scared of the epi and decided to ask for Stadol. It didn’t work. The doc checked me 15 minutes after the first one and I was at 6 cm. The anesthesiologist came back and said he discovered the protocol was that I could have an epidural at 10 PM. I was in so much pain that I said I wanted the epi.
At 10, the doc checked me and I was dilated to 8cm. The anesthesiologist came in and got the epi started around 10:20. It didn’t work until 11. As soon as it kicked in, the OB came in and checked me and told me it was time to start pushing. It only took about 3 pushes and one didn’t count. The doctor was singing, “She’ll be Coming Round the Mountain!” I started cracking up and the push was pretty much useless.
I was able to hold the baby right away. He looked so tiny to me. I couldn’t believe he was 7.5 pounds! I had a second degree tear, but honestly, I haven’t even noticed it yet!
The bad news is that Zaeden is jaundiced. He’s lost a pound and he’s all set up on the phototherapy at home with daily nurse visits. I am so sad. He has to stay on this machine and I can only hold him to feed and change him. I have to give him formula because my milk hasn’t come in yet. Poor little guy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home