Friday, January 19, 2007

Reality Check!

I have been participating in online communities for 15 years now. When I originally joined a local BBS in 1992, I was dialing in through a 2400 baud modem. It is hard to believe how quickly time has passed. After thousands of chats and discussion board postings, I have realized that I need to make some changes to my life. I am definitely addicted and here are some of the things that are bothering me:
  1. I am 40 pounds overweight and need to do something about it.
  2. I get angry at my husband for spending so much time playing WoW, but I spend quite a bit more time than he does just in my online discussion groups.
  3. My house is not nearly as clean as I would like it to be.
  4. I have the opportunity to work as many hours as I need, but I am only working about 10 hours per week.
  5. My brain thinks in terms of how I can turn my actions into a discussion board post. I am afraid of making decisions in real life based on what my online friends will think of me.

I should also note that things could be much worse. It doesn't interfere with my family life. I don't miss it when I am away from a computer. I don't get over involved in online drama. The main reason I am a member of these online groups is to provide support.

So with all this in mind, I am determined to cut back on my online discussion board time. I will mostly just visit the Mom Reality board because I feel a responsibility to continue to support those women. I am going to reclaim my life. I am not going to think about how my actions will look to someone online. I am going to get my housework done and lose this baby weight! I will also have more time to post to this blog and to get my children's sites up and running.

Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home